Dedication

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about myself in the thirty (eek!) years I’ve been alive, it’s that I go through phases. Not necessarily like the phases in the Leadership Education post previous to this, but rather phases as in “Now I will Learn Italian”, “It’s Time to Focus on Writing” or “Keeping the House Clean”.

WordPress kindly offered me a glimpse of my blogging “achievements” in 2013. They displayed pretty fireworks and then told me I’d written a grand total of… seven posts in the whole year. Out of interest, I compared this to my 2012 report, and was not too surprised to find in that year I had written fifty-four posts. PHASES.

It could be called the ‘phase-eeze’, and I’m relieved to say I come by it naturally. My mother has it. My grandmother has it. Even my great-grandmother had it. (What hope does my daughter have, you ask? None, I predict.) In actual fact I don’t think phase-eeze is necessarily a bad thing. It is often an attack of the phase-eeze which kick-starts a new interest or develops an old skill. I find that working with it, instead of fighting it, means I can pour myself into one project at a time and take advantage of the energy which comes from motivation for that particular topic.

Four generations of phase-eeze girls :)

Four generations of phase-eeze girls 🙂

However.

I feel the need to balance my phase-eeze with some longer-term dedication. You may or may not be a regular reader of my blog. (I use the term ‘regular’ loosely, because there is nothing ‘regular’ about fifty-four posts one year vs. seven the next.) You may or may not be interested in becoming a more regular reader of my blog. But I have decided to commit to TRYING to become a more regular blogger. The reasons for this are numerous, but a few are:

• To exercise self-discipline
  • To provide a creative, consistent way for me to share my faith, thoughts, and life with others
  • To develop my writing skills
  • To set an example for my children
  • To remind me to think through and develop my opinions on important life matters
  • To record family life for the future
  • To (I hope and pray) inspire others to live for God with every moment they are given

And so, as we move through 2014 I hope you enjoy my attempts at blogging more often! Feel free to give me a metaphorical nudge if you think I’m slacking. And feel free to stop reading if you think I’m boring!

May God bless us all as we live for Him.

Advertisements

9 Comments

1. Bernice (Hotchkiss) Raben said,

February 3, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I just wanted to let you know how much I’ve missed seeing your blog posts over the past year. You “are” quite a bit younger than me (I am around your sweet Mom’s age), but I always gain insight from your writings! I absolutely “love” seeing pictures of your beautiful children too. It’s lovely to watch them growing up & reading of their gradual maturing.

• DeneM said,

February 6, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Thank you, Bernice, that’s so encouraging 🙂

2. Murray Hibbard said,

February 3, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Boring you will never be!

3. Wanda said,

February 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm

When I decided to put a concerted effort into blogging, I set my blog dashboard as one of my homepages. I see it every day, and it’s really easy to just pop on there and write a quick note if I have an idea, so I can come back to it later when there’s a little more time. But it’s a constant reminder to me.

Also, it’s great to have goals for your writing. My primary goal has always been to have a record for my kids of their growing-up years,but if I can share some Light with others in the meantime, all the better, so I’ve enjoyed finding ways to share my writing.

May God continue to bless you and your family as you endeavour to share more of your life.

• DeneM said,

February 6, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Thanks, Wanda! I have bookmarked my dashboard, too 🙂

4. Mike said,

February 3, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Dene,

I have the same problem. It’s why I have about 12 projects going on right now and none of them are finished…lol

• DeneM said,

February 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm

It’s the phase-eeze, Mike! It must be contagious!

5. March 24, 2014 at 1:14 pm

[…] that might sound obvious to you, but to me it was a revelation!  If you’ve read my post on the phase-eeze you’ll know that I have trouble sticking with something very long-term, but prefer to go […]

Leave me a comment! I love to hear from my readers :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w